For those who would like to know how to uninstall programs on Windows XP the following steps should work. You may wish to uninstall a program to free up some space on your hard drive or replace a program on your computer.
How To Uninstall Programs On Windows XP
If the following steps don’t work there are steps that you can take to learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP manually. The first step should be tried first.
1. Go to START
2. Go to CONTROL PANEL
3. Double click on ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS
4. Under CURRENTLY INSTALLED PROGRAMS scroll down through the list of programs, find the program you want to remove.
5. Click on REMOVE
If this step didn’t work you can learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP by following these steps. You can learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP by downloading Microsoft Uninstaller. It is found at the Microsoft support.com website.
1. Go to START, then RUN
2. Type in Regedit
3. Click on the HKey_ Local _Machine/software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Uninstall
4. Click on the + sign for uninstall and it will open all of the programs on your computer.
5. Scroll down and find the program you wish to delete and right click on it.
6. Click DELETE
This is the first step to learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP manually. Carefully follow these steps to complete the process.
1. Go to START and then RUN
2. Type in msconfig
3. When msconfig opens click on BOOT.INI
4. Click on SAFEMODE
5. Boot your computer to SAFEMODE when it opens
6. Click on DRIVE C and then open PROGRAM FILES
7. When your list of programs opens click on the one you wish to uninstall and delete it.
8. You should now check to see if the program has been removed. To do this click on the COMMON FILES FOLDER. If the program is in the folder delete it.
There is still one more step you must follow that will show you how to uninstall programs on Windows XP manually. Completing this step is very important.
9. Go to START, RUN, and type Msconfig.
10. After it opens click on BOOT.INI then uncheck the box that says SAFEMODE.
Completing this step will save you from having to boot your computer to SAFEMODE a second time.
Once again, the above steps on how to uninstall programs on Windows XP may not have worked. If this is the case then you can check out HijackThis. HijackThis.com is a spyware detector used to help you learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP. Often a computer will not perform at its optimum capability because unneeded programs are bogging it down. If your computer is slow it may need to be restored. There may also be information in your Windows Operating Registry that you no longer need. This occurs when small bits and pieces of a program that were initially uninstalled remain on your computer. Running a Registry Clean Up will rid your computer of the pieces of a program are left on the computer causing it to operate slowly. HijackThis restores your computer, cleans up the registry and removes any viruses or malware it may have been infected with. There is a free trial offer available to download the software at HijackThis.com or you can try removing them yourself in the following way.
Windows Operating System Registry
To learn how to uninstall programs on Windows XP using Windows Registry Clean Up and remove bits and pieces of programs that may cause your computer to be bogged down, follow these steps. There is no fee to do this.
1. Go to START then RUN
2. Type Regedt32 in the open box
3. Click on OK
4. When you see REGISTRY EDITOR, locate HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows//Current Version/Uninstall
5. Click UNINSTALL REGISTRY on the left side of your screen
6. On the FILE menu click EXPORT
7. You will now see the Export Registry File. Click on DESKTOP found in the SAVE IN list.
8. Type Uninstall in the box that says FILE NAME
9. Click on SAVE
Now you will see a list of keys under UNINSTALL on the left. The keys represent programs that are installed on your computer. Click on the keys to view the details of each program. Look at the values that are on the right. You will see DISPLAY NAME. The value data for the DISPLAY NAME key is the name you will see listed under ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.
10. You will also see UNINSTALLSTRING. This key is used to remove the program that you want to uninstall.
11. After identifying the registry key that represents the program you wish to remove, RIGHT CLICK on the key on the left in the Registry Editor Window and click DELETE.
There are a few more steps to follow to complete the process.
1. Go to the FILE MENU and click on EXIT to leave the Registry Editor.
2. Click on START, go to CONTROL PANEL and then go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
3. Check to see if the program you uninstalled is deleted.
4. If the program is still listed, double click UNINSTALL.REG file that you saved in step 9 above. This will restore the original list of programs that were in your Windows Registry.
5. If the list is okay then right click on UNINSTALLED.REG on your desktop and click DELETE.
How To Uninstall Programs On Windows XP – The Conclusion
Following the above steps will not only help you uninstall programs on your computer buy also clean up bits and pieces of programs that are left causing a slow sluggish performance. They are steps that not only uninstall a program but also show you how to restore your computer to give it the optimum performance and run like new. It takes patience to do this but learning how to uninstall programs on Windows XP will help save money by not having to hire a computer repairman.